The Hill & Moorland Leader award is for people who wish to lead groups in areas like the Brecon Beacons, Peak District and Dartmoor.
The Hill & Moorland Leader Award is nationally accredited and developed by Mountain Training, it is suitable for a wide range of people including Teachers and Youth Leaders who wish to take students on walks, or to run the expedition section of the DofE award.
There are four stages in the scheme:
- Attend a three day training course.
- Complete a consolidation period to increase your experience and knowledge.
- Attend and complete a three day assessment course.
- Continue to stay current and up to date.
The syllabus is split into seven sections:
- Leadership Skills,
- Walking Skills,
- Map work and route finding,
- Hazards and emergency procedures,
- Environmental Awareness, Conservation, Access and Land Ownership.
Detailed information on each of the above topics can be found in the Hill & Moorland Leader Handbook and the onus is on you to be competent in all of them by the time you come to assessment.
We want to give you the best training available and support you through the whole process to assessment, that why we give you a Post Course Pack containing notes and handy tips to help you prepare for assessment.
The bonus to us is when you come on an assessment with us, you'll make our job easy by knowing what you need to know and doing what you need to do - its win-win all round!
Swansea Valley - Brecon Beacons
2022 Course Dates:
Training (£220 + reg fee)
- Feb 16-18
- March 2-4 (full)
- May 11-13
- Sept 30-Oct 2
- Oct 12-14
- March 16-18
- May 6-8
- May 25-27
- Sept 14-16
- Nov 9-11