The Hill & Moorland Leader award has been designed for people who wish to lead groups on day walks in summer conditions to areas like the Brecon Beacons, Peak District and Dartmoor where the terrain may be remote, but not rocky. This Hill & Moorland Leader Course is provided by Gary Evans Outdoors.
The Hill & Moorland Leader Award is nationally accredited and developed by Mountain Training, it is suitable for a wide range of people including Teachers and Youth Leaders who wish to take students on walks, or to run the expedition section of the DofE award.
There are four stages in the scheme:
- Attend a three day training course.
- Complete a consolidation period to increase your experience and knowledge.
- Attend and complete a three day assessment course.
- Continue to stay current and up to date.
The syllabus is split into seven sections:
- Leadership Skills,
- Walking Skills,
- Map work and route finding,
- Hazards and emergency procedures,
- Environmental Awareness, Conservation, Access and Land Ownership.
Detailed information on each of the above topics can be found in the Hill & Moorland Leader Handbook and the onus is on you to be competent in all of them by the time you come to assessment.
2020 Course Dates:
Training (£220 + reg fee)
• March 20-22
• Oct 23-25
• Nov 6-8