The Lowland Leader award has been designed for people who wish to lead groups on day walks in countryside and woodland.
The majority of the UK and Ireland is made up of this type of terrain so you’ll never be short of places to go walking. This Lowland Leader Course is provided by Gary Evans Outdoors.
The Lowland Leader Award is nationally accredited and developed by Mountain Training, it is suitable for a wide range of people including Teachers and Youth Leaders who wish to take students on walks, or to run the expedition section of the DofE award.
The leadership opportunities for Lowland Leaders are varied and far reaching, from the South West Coast Path to the Great Glen Way; walking in lowland areas can be no less spectacular than walking high up in the mountains.
There are four stages in the scheme:
- Attend a two day training course, we normally run ours over a weekend with an evening session.
- Complete a consolidation period to increase your experience and knowledge.
- Attend and complete a two day assessment course.
- Continue to stay current and up to date.
The syllabus is split into seven sections:
- Leadership Skills,
- Walking Skills,
- Map work and route finding,
- Hazards and emergency procedures,
- Environmental Awareness, Conservation, Access and Land Ownership.
Detailed information on each of the above topics can be found in the Lowland Leader Handbook and the onus is on you to be competent in all of them by the time you come to assessment.
Gower, South wales
2021 Course Dates:
Lowland Leader Training (£145 + reg fee)
• April 22-23
• May 22-23
• July 8-9
• Oct 9-10
• Nov 27-28
Lowland Leader Assessment (£155 + reg fee)
• Sept 11-12
• Nov 6-7